Monday, February 11, 2008

The life of the Middle Class.

Today I want to talk about living in middle class society. And I want to start this with a little story of my own journey to adulthood and life itself.

Being 18 I still live with my family, but being a graduate my family said I had to get a job in order to continue living with them. I wasn't really interested in getting a job, or trying to get my license (I was only 17 at the time). I had a friend who raised Great Danes, and I commonly helped out with there care. On a trip to the vets office one day, she decided to to take it upon herself to get me a job. She had me fill out an application, and talk to the employer for a few minutes, much to my dismay.
On leaving from the vets, I called the parents and told them what happen. They were delighted! Although I wasn't to happy about it, I knew that this is what my parents wanted of me. After some thought I realized that maybe having a job wouldn't be so bad. I would know have money to spend on anything I wanted. I could buy a Car, some new clothes, take over my feed bill, and have money to spare. It sounded great...........at the time.
About three weeks later I get a phone call from the Veterinarian himself, and we set up an interview date for the next day. The next day I went in for the interview dressed in really nice clothes, makeup and nice clean shoes. The vet talked to me for a while, and then took me on a small tour of the facilities.
Now before I go on, think back to the day I filled out my application. The one thing I didn't know was what the job was I was applying for.
On the tour of the facilities he told me my job would consist of taking care of the animals in the kennels, cleaned them, feeding them and cleaning of the surgery room. He took me to the kennels, and showed me around, although to this day I still have no clue what he was saying to me because it was so loud with all the dogs barking. After the tour I had my doubts about it, but I though it couldn't be to bad, I was sure there would be a couple employees working with me. So I agreed to the job, it would be a Part time job, starting at $7.15 an hour, and I would start the next day.
One thing I had done was, I got my license, therefore I was able to drive myself to work. I was driving a old Chevy pickup, that was falling apart and it loved to eat gas. I didn't realize I would be paying for the gas to get me back and forth to work, since my parents had been paying for it.
The first day, as anyone knows who has had a job, is the worst day! I get there on time, and the vet takes me back to the kennels introduced me the only other kennel care employee. Upon introduction she continues working saying nothing to me for about 5 minutes. She then disappears to a back room, I followed her, only to walk into a surgery room, right in the middle of a surgery, over hearing her talking to the doctor. She was telling him how the vet could have hired someone better that I was to young. What a wonderful thing to hear on your first day. Needless to say, she realized I had heard and left the room.
That first week working was really rough, I had to clean up dog poo and cat poo from all the cages three times a day. I had to help restrain animals for the administration of the anesthetic, clean up the blood and instruments after a surgery. I had to care for the Parvo dogs, changing IV lines, cleaning the cages. It was a very smelly job! I learned that being the youngest one, no one treated you like an Adult and most didn't even think to ask you if you wanted lunch.
After about a month of working, I started getting the hang on how everything worked and some ways to do things easier. My supposed to be, "Mentor" the other kennel employee hated my guts, and showed herself often. Throwing things, leaving me to do all the work while taking a hour long smoke break. I complained about this only to my parents, who said that it was just the way some people are and how they have had to work with the same kind on people.
I had never encountered those kinds of people, mean, hateful, vulgure, and moody. I though maybe is was just me, and that I needed to do things better. So I started taking over some of the larger duties, and tried to make friends with the other employees. It was working for a while, until my co-worker got to like it to much. She started getting mad at me for not getting everything done, and taking to long to do it. I was getting very upset. After about four months, I had finally had enough. I talked to the vet and gave him a four week notice that I would be quiting.
By this time I had bought a new/used car, that required a $200.00 monthly payment, a $20.00 monthly, insurance payment, a $20.00 monthly phone bill, a $30.00 monthly feed bill. I had also bought a $500.00 dollar laptop, which had drained my savings account. I thought that since I now had experience and a good working record, that I shouldn't have a problem finding a job. No worries, just pay off the last car payment for the year and I would be alright. I WAS WRONG!
Its now February and I quit the job in October of 07. I am still unemployed. I have applied for many different jobs at more than five big name employers in our area. Not a one has called me back. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to make my next month car payment, the feed bill, insurance, gas. I am officially stuck!

The main reason for this post, is that working in the middle class society is going to be rough no matter were you go. You only get paid minimum wage, some times more. You have to make your payments, on time! You have to pay your taxes, no matter how unfair they truly seem. You don't get a brake, and you can't just give up without loosing everything. Also, don't quit your job thinking you can get another one. Sure, you may get another one, but it could be six month before you do. Even then it may not pay as much and you still have to pay that car payment.

This is especially important for teenagers, looking for there first job.

But on thing is for sure, the middle class is all that keeps this country together economically. Do away with it and you loose your primary source of profit.

Just some food for though.

No comments: