Monday, November 24, 2008

First Day of Work!

Well, ya'll. I had my first day of work today. I got a part time job at a local Library branch as a front desk clerk. I have been unemployed since October of last year, so having a paycheck again is going to be really nice.

They day went by very slowly, with a lot of training and paperwork. Surprisingly, it's not a difficult job, just a lot of technical terms to memorize, and a lot of policy information to memorize. It will be an easy job, compared to my last job, when I get settled in real good. So, as of right know, I am employed.....lol.

As for the chickens. The are all doing good, a few frostbit combs but otherwise healthy. I had to move my breeder cocks into my hen barn in order to keep them warm. The Breeder barrels just weren't going to be warm enough for this year. I have winterized all but one of the coops so everyone is staying nice and warm. I am getting about 10-12 eggs a day, which in the winter is very good. My moms big Langshans are giving about 1-3 eggs every other day in a flock of about 8, so right know my chickens are producing the eggs we eat....lol. I'm already getting close to working on my breeding pairs, and getting the breeding barrels ready. I still have to buy a new incubator for the year, waiting for my first paycheck....HEHE! I plan on doing a fairly big hatch next year, about 50-80 Leghorns and 30-40 Dutch. Due to the loose of our main Silkie breeding cock, we will have to hold off on the Silkies for beginning of the year.

The goats are also doing very good this year. They are handling the winter very well, due to the fact they are slightly fat.....! (Notice the slight sarcasm there!) We breed two of our does this year, and so far we think they are both pregnant. We really won't know for sure if they are until about January or Feb. Most likely we will be selling everything this year from our does. So keep a close watch out on the sale listing next spring.

Well, I will try and keep you all posted on any new happenings. Until then.....Later!

No comments: