Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Rough Travel Day Yesterday.

I had a very um.....interesting day yesterday! I thought I would share my experience with you all.

It all started when I got off work at 8:00pm from work. The rain and ice had started coming down around 4:30pm. Then the news started reporting many accidents, esp. on the overpasses. I was really hoping that they would let us off early so we could avoid the worse weather....no such luck. On a usual day it only takes me about 30 minutes to get home, if that. I only have two different ways to get home, one is taking all the major highways and the other is to take all the back roads. On a day when the weather is bad I always take the highways just to avoid the slick back roads.

I had decided that I would take the highway even though the overpasses were still closed due to accidents. It would probably not be very bad on the highway......RIGHT! I get off work and headed to the gas station, since I was running on fumes. I put 5 dollars in which gave me 4.4 gallons....lol. I about fell on my but just filling up with gas, the concrete was so slick! I have never really experienced Icy road conditions since I am still a new driver.

I managed to merge onto the highway doing about 20mph. About three cars in front of me a driver looses control of his car and ends up nose firs on the side of the embankment. He was not getting out of that. So I started slowing down, finally realizing the roads were nothing more than a sheet of ice! I fishtailed a could of times, but managed to keep the car under control, when I came to a stop behind a very long line of cars.

I sat in that line for about 2 and a half hours, moving little to none. Turns out there was another accident on the overpass so there was no getting through. I ended up turning my car off and sitting there waiting, it was not fun! I was hungry, I also really needed to use the restroom.....lol.

I finally got moving around 10:50pm. Although the traffic was still heavy the roads were not as bad as they were earlier. So I managed a steady speed of 40mph on the highway. I finally made it into the driveway around 11:15pm. Safe and sound...thank the Lord!

This is buy far the most stress full driving situation I have ever been in, but I was a good learning experience!


No comments: